Periods can suck. All last week I had ‘Holy Cramps, Batman’ on repeat from my verbal playlist, Comforté as a permanent fixture in my bag, and a craving for rich food like no other! Verbal playlist and pain management aside, these period food cravings are the one thing that always get me. If it’s not steak and a great Cabernet Sauvignon, it’s dark chocolate and Utz Carolina BBQ chips that I’m craving. So I went to the internet to find out what the heck is going on with all these cravings.
Basically, our bodies need a boost in several nutrients: Iron, Omega 3’s, Magnesium, Vitamin’s B and E, and Potassium.
Iron can help with fatigue and mood swings
Omega 3’s can help with cramps
Magnesium, B Vitamins and Vitamin E help with all aspects of PMS to include cravings and cramps and blood loss
Potassium helps with cramps
Holy cow! How much should I eat to meet period food requirements?
There are tons of ways to get these nutrients in spinach, almonds, and steak to name a few. But, what about when I’m low on cooking time, tired, or (let’s be honest) just flat out don’t feel like it and still want some beneficial period food? Well, I came across this little gem from Gimme Some Oven that happens to have every one of the above mentioned in it!
Chia Balls (AKA: No Bake Energy Bites)
- 1 cup (dry) steel cut oats
- 2/3 cup toasted coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup almond butter (Vitamin E, Magnesium, and Iron)
- 1/2 cup ground hemp/flax blend (B Vitamins, Magnesium, Potassium and Iron)
- 1/2 cup chocolate cacao nibs (helps to balance mood swings)
- 1/3 cup raw honey (unless sharing with an infant: then use pasteurized)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (protein as well as all the benefits of hemp)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix until blended. I prefer a wooden spoon. Then freeze for about 10 minutes.
- While in the freezer, line a mini muffin tin with mini liners.
- Once chilled, use a small ice cream scoop to scoop the mixture into the liners.
* you can also roll by hand into about 24 balls.
- Store in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.
“Love being a woman, every day of the month!”
If you tried and LOVED these as much as all of us here at Comforté, please leave a comment below and make sure to Follow Us for the best of period survival!